It's more than chocolates and roses. In honor of Valentines Day, when we stop and think about love, here are 50 ways to show it to one another. I am talking about true and genuine love. Positive and healthy ways to show love.
1. Give someone your undivided attention
2. Buy them a gift
3. Serve a friend
4. Show your teenager limits and enforce them
5. Give someone a hug
6. Teach a child to share
7. Ask an elderly person about their past
8. Donate money to a cause
9. Give a dinner party and invite your friends
10. Plan a surprise party for someone who would appreciate it
My most profound and elusive question is ‘how do I love?’ It varies with the person and situation. This is a continual pursuit. The answer is not always obvious but requires me to take the focus off myself and put it on others. Have you thought about how you love?
11. Visit someone in the hospital
12. Pray for someone
13. Bring cookies to a new neighbor
14. Encourage someone who is struggling
15. Give someone a smile
16. Tell a friend the truth
17. Don’t say anything (bite your tongue)
18. Help someone finish a project
19. Listens to someone’s grief
20. Go to a funeral
There are some people who are easy to love. They agree with you and have similar opinions. How do you love those who you don’t even really like? What do you have to lay aside to show and feel love towards the unlovable?
21. Believe the best in your children
22. Be slow to speak, and quick to listen
23. Keep your opinions as just that and do not have them turn into judgments
24. Let someone know how they have inspired you
25. Be grateful
26. Cheer for a team (not against the other one)
27. Think before you say something crabby
28. Don’t take anyone for granted
29. Say ‘I Love You’ every day
30. Tell them like it is, if asked
Gary Chapman describes five love languages. They are touch, time, words of encouragement, gifts, and service. We usually show love the way we want to receive it instead of how our love interest would like it. Ask your children, spouse, and friends, which of the love languages they prefer and then show them love in that way.
31. Tip well
32. Speak well of people both publicly and privately
33. Be generous
34. Let leaders (speakers, bosses, pastors) know that you appreciate what they do even though you expect it of them
35. Follow the rules
36. Don’t allow your own frustration or anxiety to leak onto those around you
37. Spend time writing a well thought out birthday card
38. Listen when you ask about someone’s day
39. See new experiences as opportunities instead of one more of his crazy ideas
40. Praise someone publically
DC Talk’s song ‘Luv is a Verb tells us that love is a decision, not a feeling. Are you relying on feelings to determine love? Do you realize you’re not always lovable? What decisions can you make to show love to others regardless of your feelings?
41. Don’t hold grudges
43. Be more interested in others than in yourself
44. Laugh at jokes, even if they are corny, but not if they put anyone down
45. Keep your promises
46. Communicate clearly
47. Celebrate other’s successes
48. Help those in need
49. Bring out the best in others
50. Pet your dog or cat
Most likely, you can add to this list. Write down the ways you love and practice them.
Love really is what makes the world go ‘round. Be intentional about how you give it.
This is old school but I just had to . ..